SOP Number: F&B SOP – 38 ( SOP serial number and department code )
Department: Food and Beverage Service – Restaurant
Date Issued: 23-06-2018
Time to Train: 30 Min
Purpose of this SOP:
Serving mineral water the right way is as important as any other step in guest serving and demonstrates professional quality.
1. Preparation for Serving Water:
- Make sure your hands are clean and dry.
- Make sure you are acquainted with the offer of mineral water.
2. Select water:
- Choose the correct type of label as per guest’s order.
- Make sure the bottle is at the right temperature, dry, and clean.
- Use a beverage try to carry bottles up to 750ml.
- Carry larger bottles by hand.
- Position glasses on the tray if required.
3. Walk to the table for serving water:
- Always walk to the guest table with a smile.
- Always walk steadily.
4. How to Pour water for guests:
- Open the water bottle in front of the guest.
- Serve Ladies & older gentlemen first.
- Make sure bottle does not touch the glass.
- The label is up and in the palm of your hand.
- Clockwise motion around the table.
- Pour slowly and carefully.
- Fill glass to 3/4 full.
- Finish with a ¼ twist of the bottle to catch the last drop.
- Position the bottle on the side table, label facing the guests.
- Refill glasses in a proactive way (don’t wait until the guest asks for it).
5. Leave the table after serving water:
- Always leave the table with a smile.
- Ask if the guests need something else.
- Don’t mix the remaining water of several bottles together.
- Use remaining water in bottles for flowers or for the coffee machine or depending upon the hotel’s policy use for any other water recycling process.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What are the main steps in serving water?
Q2. How do you prepare for serving water?
Q3. What all need to be checked while selecting water?
Q4. How to pour water for the guest?
Q5. Points to note after leaving the table?