POSITION TITLE: Gardner
Responsible for the general maintenance of the gardens, plants and lawns at the Hotel. And also maintain the beautification of the lawns and gardens in order to attract guests to hotels lush and green surroundings.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed sowing, bed preparation and planting.
- The use and maintenance of hand tools and basic light machinery.
- The use of cylinder and rotary mowers, strimmers, leaf blowers.
- Adjustments of mower height and quality of cut, etc.
- Oil level checks and check for damage to any mower.
- Report equipment malfunctions to engineering as and when noticed.
- To be aware of Health and Safety requirements noting that all duties must be carried out to comply with current Health & Safety at Work legislation.
- To ensure all equipment, machinery are stored securely and clean after use.
- Plant and transplant flowers, shrubs, trees and lawns.
- Maintain gardens by naturally fertilising, trimming and making sure that plants are receiving adequate water.
- Prune trees and hedges in ways that help the plants’ health, are safe and look good.
- Maintain lawn and grass areas using machinery, natural fertilisers but no chemicals.
- To keep the gardens, thoroughfares and footpaths clear and free from litter at all times.
- Planting (purchasing, organising etc.)
- Pruning and cutting hedges.
- Outside maintenance including pathways, pond, steps, walls etc.
- Tiding up and cleaning outside of the hotel building.
- Keep the tool shed / store room clean and tidy.
- Good knowledge of plants, must be organised and able to follow schedule.
Self motivated, Enthusiastic, Fit and capable of heavy work. Able to work in all weather conditions and able to use machinery, lawn mower, trimmers, brush cutter, hedge cutters, chainsaw etc.
High school or equivalent diploma, Good communication skill with other staff and colleagues.
Previous experience in similar role. And sound knowledge and use of horticultural machinery is an added advantage.