SOP Number: F&B – 34 ( SOP serial number and department code )
Department: Food and Beverage Service – General
Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED
Time to Train: 60 Minutes
Understand few common reasons for ‘Why Guest complaints?’:
- Unfriendly staff or lack of a warm greeting.
- Pushy servers.
- Excuses by the servers.
- Lack of courtesy by servers.
- Unhelpful attitudes of servers.
- Overly friendly servers.
- Not giving enough responses to guest requests.
- When the servers are not available to take requests. And guest has to wait for servers to return to the table.
- Food not been delivered on time.
- Un hygienic cutleries and crockery used.
- Unacceptable noise levels.
- Cramped dining area.
- Non responsive attitude of management for complaints etc.
Handling Guest complaints:
- Calmly and patiently listen and empathize.
- Any complaint received is to be dealt with by the appropriate Department Head and reported to the Resident Manager.
- It is imperative to ensure prompt, efficient and courteous action to any complaint received.
- Initiate the required service recovery steps immediately.
- The correct approach to the customer is the key to success. The staff shall not be servile but anticipate the guests.
- A careful watch shall be kept on the guests at all times during the meal without being obvious.
- Care shall always be taken when dealing with a difficult customer.
- Never argue with a guest as it only aggravates the situation but refer all complaints to the designated superior.
- All written complaints (online or by letter) must be investigated and answered promptly. They shall be handled by the Food and Beverage Manager and brought to the attention of the Resident Manager and/or General Manager.
Record the following information on the log book :
- Guest’s name.
- Room number.
- Company name.
- Arrival relevant account details on the guest folio.
- Refer to the guest problem in the related file.
- Contact details of the guest email, mobile number etc.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What are the common reasons for guest complaints in restaurants?
Q2. Whom should dealt with any guest complaints?
Q3. How to handle written complaints?
Q4. What all information to be recorded in the log book in case of a guest complaint?
Q5. Why you should never argue with the guest?