SOP Number: Kitchen / F&B Production SOP – 6
Department: Kitchen / Food Production – Raw Material and Food Purchasing
Date Issued: 18-Sep-2018
Time to Train: 30 Minutes
Purpose of this SOP:
All Raw Materials and processed food purchased for the kitchen operation should only be procured from approved vendors in order to assure the safety of food served to customers.
The Executive chef and Hotel Purchase manager should be responsible to purchase and receive all goods in a systematic manner and to ensure a consistently high specification of product sourced. The hotel management should develop and implement written product specifications to ensure products purchased consistently meet restaurant expectations.
Kitchen Purchasing Standard Procedures:
1) Ensure purchasing is carried out by authorised personnel:
- Roles and responsibilities within the purchasing function should be defined and clearly communicated.
- Only authorised personnel should be entitled to select vendors and make any purchase orders.
- All purchases, where appropriate, are made on the basis of agreed contracts only.
- Purchase specifications are used for all major goods purchased on a regular basis.
- Weekly quotations are sought, where appropriate, to ensure that the best value is obtained.
- Minimum/maximum stock levels or par stocks should be maintained in the kitchen.
2) Purchase goods only from approved suppliers:
- Approved suppliers are selected following systematic evaluations to ensure that the best product quality and terms and conditions are achieved.
- The Food safety status of all suppliers is assessed on a periodic basis.
- Contracts are agreed with approved suppliers.
- Goods are only purchased from approved suppliers.
- Supplier performance is monitored regularly, corrective action is taken and relationships are evaluated annually.
3) Complete all purchasing activities in an efficient manner:
- The kitchen staff should adhere to predetermined purchase frequency.
- The Executive Chef or Sous Chef should use the volume forecasting techniques are used to assist in estimating purchasing requirements.
- Purchase requisition forms are used and written purchase orders are issued.
- All purchase requisitions should be entered on the Hotels Material Management System (MMS).
- Non-contract purchasing is supported by defined purchase specifications and only conducted by experienced and competent personnel.
- For Non-contract purchasing, the price quotations should be always sought in advance.
4) Standard For Purchasing of pasteurized Dairy Products:
- Visit approved vendors to ensure that they maintain clean warehouses adhere to safe storage and handling practices.
- Observe the delivery vehicles to ensure that they are clean and temperatures are properly controlled.
- It’s a good practice to request a photo ID badge of the delivery person when you don’t trust is or have complaints.
- Use written product specifications to ensure that the vendor knows what is to be delivered.
5) Tips for the employees who are responsible for purchasing food must:
- The staff be knowledgeable to understand the regulations for specific foods.
- Coordinate delivery times with vendors/suppliers to ensure that deliveries are made when they can be stored immediately.
- Schedule receiving times when product quantity and quality can be checked, including product temperatures.
- Review orders and delivery information to ensure orders and product specifications are being met.
- When making direct purchases, buyers should ensure packages are clean and will maintain the integrity of the food item, as communicated through product specifications.
- Meat and fresh shell eggs may be purchased from local licensed producers, but because these foods are considered potentially hazardous, the products must be inspected for safety on a regular basis.
- Meat and fish package should always contain an inspected/checked on the package.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. What is the purpose of this SOP?
Q2. Who is responsible to check and monitor purchasing activities in the kitchen?
Q3. Explain it is important to purchase items from approved vendors?
Q4. What is the standard for purchasing dairy products in the kitchen?
Q5. Why are the important tip for the employees who is responsible for purchasing?