SOP Number: F&B -17 ( SOP serial number and department code )
Department: Food and Beverage Service – General
Date Issued: DATE THE DOCUMENT WAS CREATED
Time to Train: 60 Minutes
Print the bill / check for presenting to the guest:
- Print the guest check from the POS machine on a ‘Slip Printer’ / ‘Roll Printer’.
- Place the check on the bill folder.
- Place a pen along with the bill.
- Present the bill to the guest / host.
Settlement of by Cash:
- Cash settlements may vary among restaurant / hotel policy.
- If the guest wants to settle by foreign currency then request the guest to exchange the currency with the front desk cashier. ( Depending upon the hotel and local government policy)
- Present change in the folder.
- Do not claim the tip until guest leave.
- If the guest leaves while you are settling the bill then, the change is your tip.
Settlement by Credit Card:
- Swipe the Card on the EDC machine.
- Enter the amount on the EDC machine.
- Verify the amount entered with the amount on the bill. Confirm the settlement.
- Take print out and get signature on the merchant copy from the guest along with the check copy.
- Return the credit card along with the guest’s copy of the credit card slip / voucher.
- If guest adds a tip on the Credit card slip then adjust the same on the EDC machine and take a new printout.
- If the credit card is declined / expired then politely ask the guest for another card or form of payment. If necessary ask the guest to step away from his or her group so that he or she will not be embarrassed.
Settlement to In House rooms:
- Request the guest to write their name and room number on the printed check and sign them.
- Do a room enquiry on the POS machine with the details mentioned on the bill by guest.
- Try searching by room number first if not found then try again by searching by the last name of the guest.
- If details matched with those given on the bill then settle the bill on to that room.
- If the details doesn’t match then, Ask the guest to present the room key as identification.
- If the POS enquiry fails with the given details, Then crosscheck with the front desk team with the guest details. And check if the guest is entitled for a credit on the restaurants.
- Nowadays on the PMS there are features to block all POS settlements, This will restrict any POS settlements from restaurants to the guest room account, So these guests has to pay their bill directly at the restaurants by other payment methods.
Settlement to Company or City Ledger:
- Ask the guest to write down the Company name on the bill, Some companies have credit with the hotel. These are called city Ledgers.
- If the guest is aware of the unique City Ledger number then ask for the same.
- Ask guest to sign on all the checks.
- Give the receipt showing the charges.
- Make the settlement to City Ledger and close the Table on POS.
Settlement against Coupons, vouchers and Gift certificates:
- Read the coupon carefully to determine if it is a valid or expired one.
- Find out what all charges are covered.
- Don’t give any cash as change for gift certificates and coupons.
- If the coupon amount doesn’t cover the total food bill then collect the balance amount by other method of payments.
- Keep the coupon safely on the cash box / folder. Treat them as cash.
- Thank the guest when you return the change and receipt.
- Invite guest to return to the restaurant / hotel again.
- If the guest leaves without settling the bills then inform the Security Manager and Outlet manger about the same.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. How to present the bill to the guest?
Q2. Procedure for Bill settlement by Cash?
Q3. Why it is important to ask the guest to write the name and room number on bill while doing a room / In House settlement?
Q4. What is the procedure for bill to City Ledger?
Q5. How to handle settlement by Voucher?