SOP Number: Hotel Engineering SOP – 17
Department: Engineering and Maintenance
Date Issued: 04–Mar-2018
Time to Train: 40 Minutes
Diesel Generator (DG) Operation Standard Procedure:
For Diesel Generator Manual Start:
- Engine start/stop switch in local position.
- Voltage up/down positions selector switch in Local position.
- Engine Speed raise/lower switch in local position.
- Push the start button to start the engine.
- Check oil pressure after engine start.
- Start DG scrubber.
- Start fans cooling pump and radiator.
- Jacket temperature should be between 80 deg. c – 90 deg. c.
For Diesel Generator Autostart:
- The engine starts automatically when the power supply fails.
- Check the individual DG set panel whether the panel positions are put in auto position.
- Engine control switch on DC ON position.
- Mode selector switch on Auto position.
- Engine START/STOP switch in local position.
- Battery charger on mains position.
Routine Checklist for Generator (DG) Set:
- Diesel is subject to contamination and corrosion within a period of one year.
- Regular generator set exercise is highly recommended to use up stored fuel before it degrades.
- Engine exercise is recommended to be executed at least once a month for a minimum of 30 min.
- Testing Batteries, weak or undercharged starting batteries are a common cause of standby power system failures.
- Check the coolant level during shutdown periods at the specified interval.
- Check the exhaust system in case there are leaks along the exhaust line they should be repaired immediately.
- Oil drips and other issues are easy to spot and take care of when the engine is nice and clean.
- Visual inspection can guarantee that hoses and belts are in good condition.
Training Summary questions:
Q1. How to start Diesel Generator (DG) set manually?
Q2. What should be the setting for DG Autostart?
Q3. What is the Ideal working temperature of the Diesel Power Generator?
Q4. How to check if the hoses and belts are in good condition?
Q5. Advantages of regular engine exercise?